Thursday, October 20, 2011

More flora and fauna

We're smack in the middle of fall here in central Virginia but I'm still thinking about flowering plants and trees in their summer plumage. Not that I don't love fall, I do! But the mural is a depiction of the fullness of summer.
Every time I went for a walk or saw something I thought "Oh, I've got to add that!", so the list of plants and animals has grown. I've been concentrating on one corner for a while, and am very pleased with the way it is starting to look. It's one thing to see it sketched out or have an idea in my head, but it's really great when the spaces begin to get filled in with form and color and things start coming to life.
Rufous-sided Towhee

I love it when I am surprised by a Rufous-sided Towhee scratching around in the leaf litter.

Here is the Towhee again, with the soon to be completed mama bear and chipmunk, with the Virginia Willow, the Cutleaf Coneflower, and the Southern Lady Fern.

Soon I will add details to the hollow log, and flesh out the chipmunk and the pile of baby possums.
Also in the works is a Piliated Woodpecker.
This is the completed Belted Kingfisher on his perch (not yet detailed) overlooking the stream.
And here is the basic stream bank, without any plants added yet. What looks like the horizon is really just the opposite stream bank as it curves around. There will be plants and some beaver-gnawed tree trunks there to define the contour.
That's it for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment