Monday, July 11, 2011

Another day, another species.

Since my last post I have added seven new species, but didn't have the camera with me on some of the days I was working!
 Just a couple of new photos today. The Turkey Vultures with their carrion are an important addition. Nature isn't always pretty, but it's always efficient, and scavengers are a vital part of the ecosystem. I have always wanted to do a portrait of a TV, but couldn't find a logical spot in the foreground to do it, so I opted to put them on a hill in the background. Still, they are unmistakable. 
Turkey Vultures with carrion
This raccoon made it to portrait status. He's big enough to really stand out, but small enough to be shown near life-size. He'll be sitting pretty on his log in the foreground. I really love watching raccoons. They are so smart and curious about everything, and it's amazing the way they use their dexterous forepaws.

  Things are progressing smoothly. Most of the bigger creatures have been placed. But there are so many more decisions to be made...there are still at least 35 more species of plants and animals to be placed! And I definitely need more trees!

This view of the wall is actually four or five separate images "stitched" together, to show more detail. It doesn't include all the work so far, but it's an experiment to see if we could get a good pic of the whole wall. I think it will work once more color and detail are added.
Up next (when I have the camera): Red fox, barred owl, brook trout, downy woodpecker, and white-breasted nuthatch.

2 comments:

  1. Love it! I think I said this before - you probably don't feel as if things are moving along at a good clip, but this seems like amazing progress since you've begun! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the mural is coming to life; it looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete