Monday, August 22, 2011

Steady Pace

It's been a while since my last post, but that doesn't mean I haven't been working on the mural. I was hoping to finish the water, get it photographed, and then do a post, but it took me a lot longer to finish the water than I thought, and I'm still working on it. I am building the shoreline as well, and will have pics hopefully next week.

The ed center is being used for other purposes for a few days, so I can't really get in there to work, but it gives me a chance to reflect and plan. I get excited when I walk into the room now, and see it growing day by day. Working on the images close to the ground is tough. I have to sit on a low stool or on the ground and hunch over. Many times I'm thinking about how much it hurts instead of what I'm doing. I'm looking forward to working my way up, so I can work standing, or at least sitting in an upright position. I'll be able to do longer days that way.

It's been fun working while camp was in progress, seeing all the kids enjoying themselves, and getting to know some of the counselors too. Camp ends this week, and it will be a different experience when I get back in there next. A lot quieter, for sure!

For now I will leave you with a before and after picture. The Great Blue Heron is the first creature I have done detail work on. While the sketch takes a few minutes to put on the wall (not counting the initial sketching time and prep work), adding the details takes several hours. I will go through this process with everything in the mural.

Great Blue Heron sketch



Great Blue Heron detail

2 comments:

  1. Michaelangelo (sp?) had it sorta tough, too with that whole ceiling thingy. I love Blue Herons - right up there with my favorite bird, the pelican. I guess I go for the gangly on land, graceful in air type.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just by you describing your position of how you're painting gives me pain. I know how hard it is to concentrate on what you're doing while in pain. It stinks;soon you'll be changing positions and feel much better.
    I love all the details in the Great Blue Heron.
    Beautifully done.

    ReplyDelete