Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Ten weeks till completion!

That's right! In ten weeks the mural will be complete! Here's a quick look at then and now.

Then    
As of 1.3.12
And here is how it looks within the context of the classroom.
Classroom context
Lots of work to be done, for sure, but I expect this final phase to unfold quickly as the pieces fall into place. The next bit I am going to tackle is the Sycamore grove on the right side. Then the hilly area in the center will get some boulders and rocky outcrops.

There is going to be a logistical problem to overcome. I planned to have a black vulture and a red-tailed hawk soaring in the sky above the mountains. Yesterday I stood on the highest rung of the ladder that I felt comfortable on, and I could only reach the tops of the mountains. I think I can do the tree tops and other things that don't require much detail with a long-handled brush. But not the kind of detail required to get the birds to a level of detail to identify the species. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. Maybe it's as simple as getting a taller ladder.

Another thing I still need to address is a sealant of some sort. Acrylic paint is pretty tough and you can basically wipe it clean with a damp cloth, so I am not too worried about that. However, over the holidays there was an "accident". Something heavy must have bumped into the mural and took out a nickle-sized area very close to the heron's head. I can fix it, but this kind of thing is bound to happen in a room where hundreds of people pass through on a regular basis, and no amount of sealant will protect from that kind of contact. Maybe we need to think about the possibility of a plexiglass shield for the lower portion.

Chunk of paint missing under heron's chin
This last image is the cardinal flower, which will soon be sporting a summer resident hummingbird.

1 comment:

  1. Amazing project, Kathy! I'm so impressed with your details and also the grand scale of this. How happy are you to be in the final stages of this massive undertaking? I hope you can sort out the issues with preserving this beauty, either that or you may have a permanent job of touching it up on a regular basis.

    ReplyDelete